Making Paper Maché Glitter Bowls
We created these very stunning paper maché bowls at our September Workshops. They just looked amazing, the kids loved creating them and the Mums just were so excited with what their children brought home.
Why don’t you give it a go at home, when you have nothing to do or on a rainy day. Think of Live Love Learn and be inspired!!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Plastic disposable bowl per child
- Glad wrap
- newspaper cut into pieces
- Atelier Chroma Binder Medium Watch this useful video http://youtu.be/KtRJYbHVH-A
- Glue Brush
- Acrylic paints
- Glitter any colours you desire
- Coat plastic bowl with vaseline and line with Glad wrap
- Prepare a container of Binder medium
- Place cut out newspaper into a bowl
- Place glitter into a bowl (not to much per child – this goes everywhere)
- Once bowl is lined with Glad wrap you may take newspaper and paste down with binder medium using the glue brush. Keep doing this and smooth down with fingers.
- It is important to do this slowly and smooth out lumps. You will probably need around 5 to 6 layers of paper.
- Once this is done, leave out to dry in the sun or if raining blow dry with a hair dryer. (Mum you will need to do this part.)
- Once dry, apply your selected paints to paint over the newspaper. Firstly paint the inside and then the outside.
- Allow to dry, perhaps again in the sun or with a hair dryer.
- You are ready to add the glitter, sprinkle it on the area you want it on. Make sure you have a paper underneath for the falling glitter which you can add back into your bowl. This is the messy fun part!!
- Once dry, coat with binder medium to varnish it.
- There it is your colourful paper maché bowl.
Now time to tidy up. I encourage the children to help clean up as it teaches them to be responsible and they then know they can do another activity another day.